Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

FORGOTTEN HISTORY: Trump says we can reform snap - The Untold Story

President Trump criticized the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program known as SNAP in an interview with Fox News' Laura Ingraham Monday night.

Why it matters: SNAP, a decades old anti-poverty program, is in the spotlight as the White House fights in court to avoid paying full benefits during the government shutdown.


Zoom in: "People keep talking about SNAP, but SNAP is supposed to be if you are down and out," he said on "The Ingraham Angle."

  • "That's what the purpose of it [is]. People are getting it, they walk in and they get it automatically now. So the number is many times what it should be, it's disgraceful."
  • The president said funding for the program has increased significantly, though he didn't specify over what time period: "Snap has gone from like 7 billion to many times 7 billion," he said.

Reality check: There are fairly strict requirements to get food benefits, contrary to Trump's claim.

  • SNAP is for people with very low incomes — with a household's gross monthly income at or below 130% of the poverty line (about $34,000 a year) — and almost no financial assets.
  • Adults who don't live with children are limited to just three months of benefits every three years or subject to other strict work requirements.
  • Nearly 80% of those on SNAP are in households with children, an elderly adult or someone who is disabled, notes the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
  • A White House spokesperson referred Axios to the OMB for comment on Trump's claims and whether a reform plan was in the works.

By the numbers: Spending on SNAP is actually down quite a bit from its peak at $128 billion in 2021, when pandemic supports were in place.

  • Spending fell to just $100 billion in 2024 and has ticked up slightly so far this year, according to a tally of USDA data from Brookings. Participation also fell off but has been relatively flat for the past several years. (See chart below.)

Flashback: SNAP usage fell during the first few years of Trump's first term, as the economy strengthened. The numbers turned up again when the pandemic struck.

  • COVID-era supports — a temporary increase in benefits, and additional emergency allotments — boosted funding to the program, and economic distress also increased participation.
  • Spending on SNAP also increased after 2021 after updates to the system were implemented by the Biden administration. Those changes have been criticized by conservatives.
Data: Brookings; Chart: Jacque Schrag/Axios

Go deeper: USDA Secretary slams "corrupt" SNAP benefits one day before funding ends

Editor's note: This story was corrected to show SNAP is for households with gross monthly income at or below 130% (not 30%) of the poverty line.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.